Monday, January 24, 2011

Recommend This Blog

Hello to all my cyber neighbors out there. It's a new week and I'm feeling fresh. The roof in one of the rooms in my house has started collapsing. Luckily, it is a room only seldom used for parties so it doesn't interfere with everyday life. Ironically, I was in there once the thing started cracking. I was a foot away from having a couple feet of plaster cave on my head. Here I am to blog another day.

Graduate school is a common option for people at my age who are in my situation. Last year I applied to graduate school at FSU but failed to get in. Unfortunately, I was going FSU or bust so that's why I'm still in Gainesville only working twenty hours a week. My father has begun nagging me; or as he likes to call it encouraging me to apply again. I have every intention to do so. I'm just naturally conditioned to wait until the last minute to do these sort of things. I did sort of apply to the University of Florida on a whim. That plan worked so why wouldn't I expect it to again?

Well, apparently graduate school is a whole lot harder to get into. It is more competitive and there are fewer spots. The admissions boards also really want you to impress them with letters of recommendation, writing samples and a personal statement of what you hope to accomplish. Frankly, it is all quite exhausting for me. Nonetheless, I've got to get it done in order to get my father off my back and so that he'll start fully supporting me again. There are a few things holding me back though.

First, it's these letters of recommendation. I've got one professor who will write very nice things about me, (Thank you, Prof. Burt.) but some of these schools want three people to write very nice things about me. This has me seeking out professors in hopes that they'll remember and praise my genius of two years ago in Italian Cinema. (Please email me back Prof. Watt!) I got one professor who flat out refused to write for me. A simple NO would have done but he decided to make a long basketball metaphor about how not every college athlete makes it to the pros because they find they're not as capable. I had a hard time following it because I'm more of a baseball fan but I picked out that he was telling me I sucked at learning. Please email me if you work for an accredited university. I could use the letter of recommendation. Tell them how much you love the blog.

The second thing is the writing sample I'm suppose to provide. My hard drive got fucked by some hard ice tea (unintentionally sexy way to phrase it) about a month ago so every term paper I've ever written is gone. I managed to recover a few from email accounts but they are not the length I need them to be. I guess I could elaborate on one but I'm having I hard time figuring out what my point was in the paper. I may be forced to write a term paper from scratch without receiving college credit. This is by far the worst thing to have happened to me but this is your gain, readers. Leave me a comment with your suggestion as to what my thesis should be. Or comment on notes about how the id, ego and superego are depicted in the film Klute. I need you guys to come through.

I can't wait for this to be over with. It definitely makes me believe I should've handled myself differently in college. I should've been impressing more professors and saving my A papers on an external hard drive. At least I'll remember all this for when I go to apply for my doctorate. Then, I may start making a base salary of $34,000. Round of CiCi's on me when that happens. I promise.

Don't you get it? You're a rat in a maze.”

No comments:

Post a Comment